Lisa Free is a Canadian artist known for her loosely rendered sparkling waterscapes and elegant tonal interiors.
Free’s work is rooted in her strong connection with the 1000 Islands region of Canada, drawing inspiration from the shimmering St. Lawrence River, windswept island pines, and historic castle interiors. Free works with an intuitive colour palette and gestural paint application, attempting to convey her subject with minimal strokes. The resulting paintings portray the essence of her subjects, while radiating warmth and familiarity.
Following a 15 year career in theatrical costume design and work as a commercial textile artist, Free turned her focus to painting full time, and quickly gained a following of dedicated collectors. Free has exhibited in established exhibitions and galleries since 2010, and her work is collected in Canada, the United States, and Europe.
• "It Begins with Water", solo exhibition, Marianne can Silfhout Gallery, Brockville ON, 2018
• Two-artist exhibition with Tammy Shane, Tett Centre of Creativity and Learning, Kingston, ON, 2018
• The Artist Project, Toronto, ON, 2013
• Solo Exhibition, Kingston Glass Studio Gallery, 2012
• The Artist Project, Toronto, ON, 2012
• Ottawa Art Expo, Ottawa, ON, 2011
• Kingston Glass Studio Gallery, 2011
• Three Horse Art Studio Show, 2010
• Rideau Valley Art Festival, 2009
• Marianne van Silfhout Gallery, Brockville, ON, 2009
• Art In The City Tour, 2009
• Marianne van Silfhout Gallery, Brockville, ON, 2008
• Arabella Magazine, Summer Harvest issue, 2016